Tuesday, May 3, 2011

DLynne Artdolls

DLynne Artdolls


Antique Simon & Halbig Doll?? Or Reproduction?

Posted: 02 May 2011 04:18 PM PDT


First off, I am back. Once again and Im at my art table. I have reorganized my art room, just ordered a nice custom sewing table and hope to be back to my dolls any day now! Another really long break for me is over. I am anxious to start my art again. However, on to my story of this past Sunday.....

After reorganizing my art room, I decided to take a run to the thrift store. I was searching for the usual treasures. Upon entering the store I noticed very many dolls on a very high shelf. So I began to look through them.

After handling a the third doll, I spotted a very special one. She immediately stood out. I said to myself "this is a doll from Germany!". When I had her in my arms I was immediately sensing something precious. I lifted up her hair to look on the back of her neck for any indication or markings. I also noticed deep down on the neck where it is almost hidden into the shoulder plate, there is a "55" stamped.



I then saw the Simon & Halbig 117/A stamp on her neck. I became breathless right away. I held her tight and proceeded to look through the rest of the dolls. Her price tag was $3.99. She is beautiful porcelain doll and if she was indeed authentic, needless to say I am now very excited. I did not want to put her down in order to keep looking through the other dolls. I was feeling the urge to make my purchase and get home quickly and research this doll.

Here are some photos of her. She is stunning. Her dress is heavy velvet and the sewing is very well done. She has undergarments as well. Her clothing is finished with snaps. She measures 18" tall.



If anyone can offer any thoughts based on these pictures, please leave a comment. I realize it is hard to ascertain without seeing the doll in person. I do not know too much about S&H dolls at this moment. Her body is a soft body with the porcelain limbs, head and shoulder plate. She will probably need to be validated in person by a professional. I have plans to visit a nearby doll museum; hopefully this week. I called a museum I know of in another state. Unfortunately, she couldn't give me too much information without seeing the doll in person.



If she is a reproduction S&H doll, well .... she is still a very stunning doll and I am glad to have her. However, if she is authentic, I would love to know.



She has an extremely well kept appearance and is in near perfect condition despite some runs in her stockings and her hair a bit matted. I tend to think that her excellant condition is unusual for a doll this old.

However, there is another caveat to the situation......



After I got home I got to thinking ... hmmmm.. if she is indeed authentic, then when she arrived at the thrift shop, maybe she did not arrive alone?? Maybe there are other doll treasures with her. I just had to find out. I decided to get back into my car and drive back to the store and do a thorough check on all dolls.

I ended up finding two Grace S Putnam Bye-Lo baby dolls!! I purchased both and left the store.



The large one is stamped on the back of the neck with Grace S Putnam. The smaller one is not marked, however, she does have the "frog leg" design of her dolls.



So what are the odds of "authentic" bye-lo baby dolls (made in 1920's) and this other doll at the same thrift shop?? From same collection?? Hmmmmm...



.....could the Simon & Halbig doll also be authentic??

You can view more pictures of the her in the flickr gallery here.

Here are more photos of the bye-lo baby..

Until I can get to the museum, I am off to make some dolls. These little treasures from the thrift store have inspired me. I just love dolls. They do make me smile.



No comments:

Post a Comment