Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Indoor Street Art by Paul Baines

Indoor Street Art by Paul Baines


Robot Fossils

Posted: 19 Apr 2011 04:47 AM PDT

Artist and illustrator Justin Chase Black does a fine trade as a 2D artist and you can see his illustrations, both commissioned and personal at www.ThrowingChicken.com but it's his 3D work that has really caught my attention, this guy makes fossilised robots aka Creatures of the Mechazoic Era. Here's an excerpt of the process written in 2010 at TheRPF.com :-

"'I've been working on this series for about 6 months now, and for whatever reason I was a little hesitant about showing them off until they were all done. The original concept was to create full 1:1 scale humanoid robots in correlation to a little storyline I had brewing in my head, but I didn't have the space, time, or money for such a huge endeavor, and since I am not really a fan or collector of miniatures I decided small but 1:1 scale robotic animals would be the next best thing. Additionally; somewhere on the other side of my brain I have been wanting to re-create the cover of the Alien 3 dvd but on a slab of stone simulating a fossil effect very much like the common Ammonite fossils. When the robotic-animals concept was conceived I saw it as an opportunity to combine the two projects into a much more interesting and original concept. Over the past few months I have been gathering reference photography, gathering animal bones, doing sketches, talking with geologists and fossil experts, working with fellow artists, building the bucks and making the molds. The three original pieces were intended to be hung during a little show in March, but once that got pushed back I saw the extra time as an opportunity to up the ante. The final pieces are cast out of resin + various fillers with a foam backing for support, which makes them very light weight."

Mycteria_americana___Details_by_ThrowingChicken Loligo_Duvauceli_by_ThrowingChicken Felis_catus_by_ThrowingChicken Creatures_of_the_Mechazoic_Era_by_ThrowingChicken Chelonia_mydas_by_ThrowingChicken Chelonia_mydas___Detail_by_ThrowingChicken Belle Marie Belle_Marie___Detail_3_by_ThrowingChicken Belle_Marie___Detail_2_by_ThrowingChicken Belle_Marie___Detail_1_by_ThrowingChicken

Prices for finished pieces at www.SonofaBot.com range from $200 to $500 for these highly impressive resin moulded sculptures that measure up to 18" diameter. If you want to keep up with all things JCB then pop over to his DeviantArt page for more visual goodies.

No comments:

Post a Comment